Javascript is vital for the advanced features in this website such as Property Search. Please enable or upgrade your browser


Landlord’s Obligations for Letting Property

Landlord Registration

All Landlords must now register with NI Direct as a “Landlord” the cost of this is £70 which is paid directly to NI Direct. Once a Landlord has registered they will receive a Landlord Registration Number which must be put on all property information e.g. Letting agreement etc.

To register and further information -

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC’S)

Due to government regulations it is now compulsory for all rental properties to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) before the property can be marketed. If you are in receipt of this a copy should be forwarded to our office prior to the listing of the property. If you do not have an EPC, we can arrange for a registered EPC Accessor to carry out an inspection and issue an EPC. This fee is payable to Thomas Orr Ltd at a cost of £84.00 including VAT.

Tenancy Deposit Scheme

Any security deposit collected from the Tenant must now be registered with an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme in Northern Ireland such as TDS NI – further information can be found at

Electricity & Gas Certificates

As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. You must ensure that appliances are working correctly and guard against the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Therefore, every rental property that has any sort of gas appliance, whether it is a central heating boiler or a gas stove or even a gas fire, requires a Gas Safety Certificate. These certificates can only be issued by a technician registered with the’ Gas Safe Register’. Certificates are valid for a year from the date they are issued.

Landlord electrical certificates are another important part of ensuring the safety of your tenants and being able to prove that you have taken reasonable steps to do so. All electrical certification should be carried out by an electrician whom is registered with the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installers and Contractors (NICEIC). There are two types of electrical certificate:

Periodic Inspection Report

It is advisable to have a full electrical inspection carried out every five years. This examination investigates the state of the electrical wiring throughout the property and thoroughly checks the safety of the electrical installation.

Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)

It is also advisable to instruct an electrician to carry out PAT testing on all portable electrical appliances once a year. Portable electrical appliances are defined as any appliances that you supply with the property that can be plugged into the mains electricity (for example lamps, microwaves, portable electric heaters, TV etc.). The purpose of the PAT is to ensure that all portal electrical items provided with the property are electrically safe.

An Electrician and Gas Safe Registered Engineer will be able to advise on the cost of these Certificates, which should be forwarded to our office before the listing of the property.

Certificate of Fitness

A Certificate of Fitness is required on certain rental properties. This is a local council regulation and is entirely separate from an EPC. Ards Borough Council will carry out an inspection to check whether your property is fit to live in, under the Private Tenancies (Northern Ireland) Order 2006 (Article 33). The fee is payable to Ards Borough Council at a cost of £50.00.

You do not need a Certificate of Fitness for your house if:

  • the tenancy began before the Private Tenancies (NI) Order 2006 came into force 
  • your house was built after 1 January 1945 (we will assume that your property was built in or before 1945, unless you tell us otherwise in your application form or you can provide us with documented evidence, showing that it was built after this date) 
  • a renovation grant for the house has been paid by the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (this only applies for a period of ten years from the date of the grant) 
  • a HMO grant has been paid by the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (this only applies for a period of ten years from the date of the grant) 
  • it is currently registered with the Northern Ireland Housing Executive for multiple occupancy 
  • it was formerly let under a protected or statutory tenancy where a regulated rent certificate has been issued (this only applies for a period of ten years from the date of the certificate). 
  • A Certificate of Fitness can be issued after the property has been let. If you think you need a Certificate of Fitness please contact our office.

Fire Safety

In addition to the installation of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors/alarms all furniture items such as sofas and beds which are left in the property must have the required British Standard fire safety kite marks.

Non-resident Landlords

Non-resident Landlords need to apply to have their UK rental income without deduction of UK tax - individuals (NRL1). Otherwise the Managing Agent is legally required to deduct the tax at source.